El Niño/La Niña Update (February 2023)

01 February 2023

The first “triple dip” La Niña of the 21st century, which began in September 2020 with a brief break in the boreal summer of 2021, is gradually weakening. WMO Global Producing Centres of Long-Range Forecasts predict that there is a 90% chance for a transition to ENSO-neutral during March-May 2023, while there is a small chance of about 10% for La Niña to continue further. ENSO-neutral conditions are likely to persist thereafter, with the chances progressively decreasing to about 80% in April-June, and 60% in May-July. The chances of El Niño developing gradually increase from 15% in April-June, to 35% in May-July, reaching significantly higher chances of around 55% during June-August. Due to the low performance of seasonal forecast models at this time of year, commonly known as the Northern Hemisphere "spring predictability barrier", it is critical to interpret long-range ENSO forecasts with caution. National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) will closely monitor changes in the state of ENSO over the coming months and provide updated outlooks, as needed.

Download document
Document type:
  • El NIño / La Niña Update