The World Meteorological Congress is the general assembly and supreme body of the Organization. It brings together delegates from Members, comprising Members States and Member Territories, once every four years to:
- determine general policies for the functioning of the Organization,
- evaluate membership applications,
- formulate the general, technical, financial and staff regulations,
- establish and coordinate the activities of constituent bodies of WMO,
- approve long-term plans and budget for the following financial period,
- elect the President and Vice-Presidents of the Organization and members of the Executive Council, and
- appoint the Secretary-General.